IEC or importer exporter code is a unique 10 digit code issued by director general of foreign trade, ministry of commerce. IEC number is mandatory to import or export in India. No one is allowed to import or export in India without importer exporter code.
One can apply for IEC number either online or offline. In case of online mode, the applicant is required to submit the print out of application form after submitting it online. Scanned copies of PAN, bank certificate and all other documents are required to be filled along with the online application form.
Website to apply online
In case of offline, applicant is required to fill up the application form and submit hard copies along with all other documents mentioned below to the regional DGFT office.
Document required for importer exporter code or IEC number
For importer exporter code number, you are required to submit following documents along with the application form;
- Forwarding or covering letter in company letter head with subject matter for issuing importer exporter code number
- Application form in the prescribed format. All the pages must be signed by the applicant.
- Demand draft of Rs.250 drawn in favour of the regional DGFT office
- Certificate from the banker with whom you have current account. Format can be obtained from the application form part B. It must be obtained on bank’s letter head. Banker must identity and attests the applicant’s photo with bank’s seal.
- PAN card copy with self attestation (both side).
- MOA, AOA and incorporation certificate in case of a company or else government registration certificate as a proof of registration.
- Two Passport size photo.
- Self addressed envelope with stamps for speed post (for below 1000 km distance put stamps of Rs. 30 or else Rs.50).
Please remember, all documents except the bank certificate must be signed and sealed by applicant before submission.
After arranging all these documents, you are required to fill up the application form and then submit it to the regional office of DGFT along with all other documents discussed above.
Regional DGFT will issue IEC number after verification of documents. IEC number will be sent to the applicant in speed post within 3 days time (approx). In most of the cases we have seen that IEC code has been despatched within a day.
We suggest you to get photocopy of all the documents and have an acknowledgment as a proof for submitting your application form.
Only one IEC number shall be issued against a single permanent account number. In case of having more than one IEC number issued to a proprietor, it has to be surrendered to the regional office for cancellation.
If IEC number is misplaced or lost then a duplicate certificate can be issued by DGFT on request along with an affidavit. Similarly, if anyone wants to surrender the IEC number then that can be done by applying to the regional DGFT office.